
I've been a health and fitness professional for going on 17 years now, and I've worked with a good many clients over the years. Along the way I picked up a couple degrees, a few certifications, some good friends, and a whole lot of experience. It's funny, when I started this journey, I thought I knew sooo much about fitness training and being physically fit, but as the years have gone by, I chuckle at how little I knew, and how much there was to be discovered.
Certainly basic elements exist to achieving physical fitness. It's still a great idea to perform aerobic exercise for cardiac health, to strength train, and to stretch to achieve and maintain flexibility and range of movement. However, the techniques used, and the manner in which the various elements of exercise are today programmed into a person's training regimen have changed dramatically. Rarely is it automatically recommended to do a given aerobic exercise 4-5 times per week for equal training durations (such as 30 mins per session), at a steady-state intensity to reduce fat and improve cardiovascular fitness. Rather, a mix of intensities, session lengths, and exercise mode are now the norm, with high-intensity interval training a very popular prescription.
Also blurred is the distinct division between strength training and cardiovascular exercise. Complex training can involve combining an "aerobic" or conditioning exercise with a strength training exercise, achieving superb results in a short session period. Fitness trainers today also may utilize implements as kettlebells, martial arts and boxing equipment, gymnastics, and plyometric tools. Training dimensions such as agility, speed, power and balance are on the rise as recreational exercisers of all ages are venturing into techniques and modalities that were formerly reserved only for competitive athletes.
The variety of fitness modes and programming solutions has absolutely exploded the past dozen years or so, and with the advent of the comprehensive cross-training model, fitness training has become far more effective, efficient and fun than it was in the 80's and 90's. This is great news for everyone who is interested in a healthier, fitter, more useful body.
Be healthy, my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment